Thursday, December 17, 2009

  • Thursday, December 17, 2009
  • Elder of Ziyon
I am fascinated with the small things I see in Israel.

There is a rule in Judaism that most doors must have a "mezuzah" on them. This is a Biblical-level commandment.

Last night, I noticed that the hotel I am staying in had a mezuzah on the revolving door:
I had never seen a mezuzah on such a door before, and it struck me that the halachic questions of how exactly to place such a mezuzah almost all come from Israel. Does it tilt towards the door or the inside of the building? Is it placed on the round part or the flat part next to the door?

Halacha, Jewish law, must innovate to handle new circumstances, and Israel is the place that such innovation is coming from. While a mezuzah may seem a trivial example, it points to the fact that Israel is where the new questions are more pertinent and therefore the place that even the most religious interpretations of Judaism is forced to adapt to the modern world, out of necessity. This makes Judaism relevant to every day life here in ways that one cannot see anywhere else in the world.

AddToAny

EoZ Book:"Protocols: Exposing Modern Antisemitism"

Printfriendly

EoZTV Podcast

Podcast URL

Subscribe in podnovaSubscribe with FeedlyAdd to netvibes
addtomyyahoo4Subscribe with SubToMe

search eoz

comments

Speaking

translate

E-Book

For $18 donation








Sample Text

EoZ's Most Popular Posts in recent years

Hasbys!

Elder of Ziyon - حـكـيـم صـهـيـون



This blog may be a labor of love for me, but it takes a lot of effort, time and money. For over 19 years and 40,000 articles I have been providing accurate, original news that would have remained unnoticed. I've written hundreds of scoops and sometimes my reporting ends up making a real difference. I appreciate any donations you can give to keep this blog going.

Donate!

Donate to fight for Israel!

Monthly subscription:
Payment options


One time donation:

subscribe via email

Follow EoZ on Twitter!

Interesting Blogs

Blog Archive